ABA successfully fought for the inclusion of several important priorities for bakers in the “Omnibus Spending Package” released early this morning. The $1.149 trillion funding bill addresses many issues, including;
- COOL Repeal – Protecting U.S. bakers from a 100% retaliatory tariff on baked goods and ingredients sold in Canada and Mexico.
- Hours of Service – Shielding bakers from unworkable rules pending additional research demonstrating a significant safety benefit.
- Partially Hydrogenated Oils– Guarding bakers from frivolous class action lawsuits during the 3-year phase-out of PHOs.
- Dietary Guidelines – Requiring the guidelines to be based on significant scientific agreement; be limited in scope to nutrition and dietary information; and instructing the National Academy of Medicine to conduct a comprehensive study of the entire process used to establish the Advisory Committee for the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Sodium Reduction – Prohibiting further reduction in sodium in federal feeding programs pending further research.
- Whole Grains in School Meals – Allowing states to determine exemptions from 100% whole grain standards in the National School Meals Program.
Now is time now for Bakers to act – Please RISE TO ACTION TODAY and tell your legislators to VOTE YES on final passage of the Omnibus this week!